Stewed Chicken with Dumplings
- Servings: 7
Here’s a family-favorite that’s ideal for a relaxing winter evening, with juicy, melt-in-your-mouth chicken and light, fluffy dumplings.
|3 Tbsps||vegetable oil|
|2 lbs||bone-in chicken pieces|
|1 cup||onion, sliced|
|1||celery stalk, cut in half, quartered|
|3/4 tsp||dried thyme leaves|
|1/4 tsp||freshly ground black pepper|
|6 oz||No Yolks® Dumplings|
|2 cups||carrots, sliced|
|1 cup||celery, sliced|
|3 Tbsps||all purpose flour|
|lemon juice and zest, if desired|
For the Broth:
- In heavy 5-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat oil; brown chicken. Drain off fat.
- Add water, onion, celery, salt, bay leaf, thyme and pepper; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; discard chicken skin and bones, celery stalk, and bay leaf. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
For the Noodles:
- Heat broth to boiling; add uncooked pasta, carrot and celery. Boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
- Mix flour in water. Stir flour mixture into broth and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add reserved chicken and lemon juice and zest, if desired, to dumplings mixture and heat through.