Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Servings: 6
- Prep: 15
- Cook Time: 25
This impressive Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Casserole makes the perfect hearty weekend breakfast or brunch.
|12 oz.||No Yolks® Extra Broad|
|2 Tbsp||olive oil|
|1 lb||chorizo sausage, casing removed|
|2||garlic cloves, minced|
|1 jar||strained, puréed tomatoes (passata)|
|1/2 tsp||salt, divided|
|1/2 tsp||pepper, divided|
|2 cups||cheddar cheese, shredded and divided|
|1/4 cup||green onions, thinly slice|
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook chorizo and garlic for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly browned. Stir in tomatoes; bring to boil. Season with half of the salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until chorizo is cooked through.
- Toss together sauce, pasta, reserved cooking liquid and 1 cup Cheddar cheese until well coated and cheese starts to melt.
- Transfer to greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Using back of spoon, create 6 wells in casserole. Crack egg into each well. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted, and egg whites are set but yolks are still slightly runny, or until cooked as desired.
- Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
- As a variation, substitute Italian sausages for chorizo, mozzarella for cheddar cheese and garnish with basil.