Classic Tuna Casserole
This hearty and tasty Classic Tuna Casserole will not let you down with its delightful mix of flavors featuring mushrooms, peas and tuna. Try it today!
|3 cups||No Yolks Broad Noodles|
|1 1/2 Tbsps||margarine|
|1||onion, finely chopped|
|1||green bell pepper, finely chopped|
|1 cup||sliced fresh mushrooms|
|1/4 tsp||dried thyme leaves, crushed|
|1/8 tsp||freshly ground black pepper|
|12 oz||evaporated milk|
|1/2 cup||frozen peas|
|1 can||(5 oz.) tuna, drained and flaked|
|1/3 cup||French fried onions|
- Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- Melt the margarine in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir to mix in. Add salt, thyme and pepper; stir again. Gradually add evaporated milk, stirring constantly, scraping up any browned bits in bottom of skillet.
- Add peas. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until milk is slightly thickened. Stir in tuna and cooked noodles.
- Spoon noodle mixture into a large, shallow baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle onion rings over noodles.
- Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 20 minutes or until onion rings and noodles are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let set for a minute before serving.
Leftover casserole can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days.