Caramel Apple Upside-Down Kugel
- Servings: 12
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
This irresistible creamy-and-sweet kugel spiked with cinnamon and vanilla makes a family-friendly dessert that’s sure to win rave reviews.
|12 oz||No Yolks Extra Broad Noodles|
|1 tub (16 oz)||cottage cheese|
|1 tub (8 oz)||sour cream|
|3/4 cup||granulated sugar|
|6 Tbsps||butter, melted and divided|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract|
|1/2 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|3||apples, peeled, cored and sliced|
|1/2 cup||packed brown sugar|
|2 Tbsps||heavy or whipping (35%) cream|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, using handheld electric mixer, beat together eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, sugar, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until smooth and blended. Stir in noodles until well coated.
- In another large bowl, toss together apples, brown sugar, remaining butter and cream. Scrape apple mixture into greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Spoon noodle mixture over apples mixture; smooth top.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until golden brown and set. Let cool for 20 minutes before inverting over serving platter and slicing.
Substitute apples with pears or peaches for variation.
Baking apples such as Honey Crisp, Mutsu, Fuji, Golden Delicious, Cortland or Granny Smith all work nicely in this recipe.
For the faint of heart, omit inverting kugel onto serving platter. Slice and invert individual slices onto serving plates.