French Onion Noodle Casserole
- Servings: 6
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
This old-fashioned noodle bake delivers a delicious casserole with loads of comforting flavors.
|12 oz||No Yolks Extra Broad Noodles|
|1/4 cup||unsalted butter|
|1 pkg (2 oz)||onion soup mix|
|1 1/2 cups||sour cream|
|1/4 cup||cup finely chopped fresh parsley|
|2||onions, thinly sliced|
|1/4 tsp||black pepper|
|1 1/2 cups||store-bought crispy fried onions, divided|
|2 Tbsps||finely chopped fresh chives|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook noodles according to package directions for 5 to 6 minutes or until par-cooked. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid; drain noodles and return to saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in medium skillet set over medium heat, melt butter. Remove from heat. Transfer half the melted butter to medium bowl (reserve skillet). To the medium bowl, stir in onion soup mix, sour cream, reserved cooking liquid and parsley.
- Place reserved skillet with remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly golden and tender.
- Transfer sautéed onions to saucepan of noodles. Stir in sour cream mixture and half the crispy fried onions. Transfer mixture to greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with remaining crispy fried onions.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until noodles are tender and topping is golden brown. Garnish with chives before serving.
For a cheesy casserole, sprinkle 1 cup shredded Swiss, Cheddar or mozzarella cheese over top of casserole before topping with remaining crispy fried onions.