Masala Mac and Cheese
The classics will always be there. Don’t be afraid to spice things up. Especially when those spices are garam masala, cumin, coriander, and a pinch of nutmeg.
|12 oz||No Yolks Extra Broad Noodles (uncooked)|
|1 Tbsp||olive oil|
|1||red onion, chopped|
|1||small Thai chili, chopped (optional)|
|1/2 Tbsp||ginger paste|
|1 Tbsp||garlic paste|
|1/2||red bell pepper, chopped|
|1/2||green bell pepper, chopped|
|1/2 cup||mixed veggies (frozen green peas, corn and carrots)|
|3 Tbsp||tomato paste|
|1 tsp||dijon mustard|
|Salt to taste|
|1 cup each||cream, milk, reserved pasta water|
|1 cup each||medium cheddar, pepper jack, gruyere|
|1/4 cup||cilantro, finely chopped|
|1/4 tsp||turmeric powder|
|1 tsp||Kashmiri red chili powder|
|1 tsp||garam masala|
|1 tsp||cumin powder|
|1 tsp||coriander powder|
|1 /2 tsp||red pepper flakes, adjust to taste|
|Freshly cracked black pepper|
|Pinch of nutmeg|
- Cook pasta in salted, boiling water as per package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water. Drain and rinse noodles with cold water and keep aside.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, add butter, olive oil, and red onions. Saute till red onions turn soft.
- Stir in garlic ginger paste and saute until the raw garlic smell goes away.
- Add the bell peppers, veggies, and salt and mix. Cover and cook for 2 mins or until the veggies are almost cooked.
- Add spices and tomato paste. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup of reserved pasta water and bring it to a simmer.
- Lower the heat and stir in cream and milk. Mix and bring it to a boil.
- Add in your cheese (1 cup at a time). Mix until the cheese has melted.
- Add in the cooked noodles with cilantro. Mix until everything is well combined.
Sprinkle these on top before serving: Red onion, finely chopped; Spring onion greens; Green chili or jalapeños, diced; Cilantro, finely chopped; Tomato, finely chopped; Lemon juice