Pineapple Upside-Down Kugel
- Servings: 12
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
This sweet and creamy kugel has the heart-warming flavors of a classic pineapple upside-down cake in casserole form.
|12 oz||No Yolks Extra Broad Noodles|
|1 1/2 cans (14 oz each)||pineapple slices in syrup|
|1 tub (16 oz)||ricotta cheese|
|1 tub (8 oz)||sour cream|
|2/3 cup||granulated sugar|
|6 Tbsps||unsalted butter, melted and divided|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract|
|1/2 cup||packed brown sugar|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, reserving syrup, drain pineapple slices.
- In large bowl, using handheld electric mixer, beat together eggs, ricotta, sour cream, sugar, 1/2 cup reserved pineapple syrup, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla and salt until smooth and blended. Stir in noodles until well coated.
- Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish with remaining butter. Sprinkle bottom of baking dish evenly with brown sugar. Arrange 12 pineapple slices over brown sugar in baking dish. Place a cherry in center of each slice. Spoon noodle mixture over pineapple slices; smooth top.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until golden brown and set. Let cool for 20 minutes before inverting over serving platter and slicing.
And splash of rum and pinch ground cinnamon to Step 4 for extra-tropical flavors if desired.
For the faint of heart, omit inverting kugel onto serving platter. Slice and invert individual slices onto serving plates.